Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Dobson vs. Obama


The web is a buzz with Dr. James Dobson's, of Focus on the Family, comments about Democratic presidential hopeful Barak Obama's 2006 speech. Here is CNN's report from yesterday, June 24, 2008.



In response to his critique of Obama's speech, a new website has been developed at http://www.jamesdobsondoesntspeakforme.com/. Apparently it was spearheaded by the now well known Pastor Kirbyjon Caldwell who most recently officiated at the wedding of President Bush's daughter Jennah.


It is possible that Dr. Dobson is correct in his critique of Sen. Obama's interpretation of the Bible. It is possible. It is also possible that Dr. Dobson is incorrect in his critique. (Scot McKnight shared his perspective on Dobson's critique here.) I'm not sure that what is at issue, really, is whether Dobson or Obama is correct; instead what troubles me is the tone and approach to the debate. I support the debate. I think Dobson has every right to challenge Obama or McCain or me on whatever issue he wants - as an American and as a Christian. But the way in which Dobson, Obama or myself approach the debate often becomes the point for the larger society. By now, I would think that Dobson would know this and seek to communicate in a more thoughtful and loving way - as an American and as a Christian.


Here's a thought from the Apostle Paul who was no stranger to debate. Ephesians 4:29-32 "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."

2 comments:

Troy said...

I occasionally listen to Focus on the Family when I am driving and used to listen to it quite regularyl when it was about the family.
The program used to address questions like "How do I deal with this issue I face in my family relationship?" And they would have incredible first person accounts of the way God has worked in peoples lives.
I just happened to tune in the day that this was brodcast. I had no idea that it was coming and did not make it through the first 5 minutes. He clearly was not even hearing the things that Obama was saying.

I really appreciate the response of the james dobson doesn't represent me group. I appreciate much of his teaching on the family and have supported the organization financially in the past. Today I called and asked to be taken off of the mailing list because of the negative impact his response has for the gospel of Jesus Christ.

It really breaks my heart that something that God has truly blessed in several areas can be used so carelessly. Did no one in the organization speak up? Some one had to have seen the error. Was the Holy Spirit speaking to anyone?

__REV__ said...

Amen, Jeff, Amen! Its not so much the "what" (however important the "what" may be) but the "how" that is vastly more important. Dobson blew it, plain and simple. To accuse Obama of those things is extremist and reactionary.

I've read Obama's "Audacity of Hope" and heard several long speeches (more than just media sound bytes) and I've never found him to be sloppy and "confused" and all that other stuff Dobson accused him of.

James Dobson is part of a dying relic of the Religious Right that needs to go away for true dialogue to continue in this country. The two-issue evangelical group is fading away, according to Jim Wallis, and from my personal experience I would agree with Jim Wallis. I don't think very many people are seriously listening to Dobson, Robertson, and their peers much anymore.

They make for media sound bytes (as you demonstrated) to stir up controversy and little more. I'm bothered by the approach. I would prefer the two-issue evangelicals to come to the table respectfully and dialogically and not so divisively and blatantly partisan. God is neither a Republican nor a Democrat.

REV