Tuesday, March 24, 2009

TIME on the New Calvinism

David Van Biema wrote an article in TIME magazine regarding the New Calvinism which he sees as the most passionate group within evangelicalism. In many ways I agree with his evaluation. In part this is to the credit of new calvanism which has found a theology that stirs the imagination towards the granduer of God as the Creator and Sustainer of the Universe.

What bothers me, both for my neo-calvanistic brothers and sisters as well as for myself, is Van Biema's final paragraph. He wrote, "It will be interesting to see whether Calvin's latest legacy will be classic Protestant backbiting or whether, during these hard times, more Christians searching for security will submit their wills to the austerely demanding God of their country's infancy."

Are these really the only options? And for my neo-calvanisitc friends, is this what is bringing converts into this theology - a desire for security in the midst of difficult financial times? If so, will these new converts then re-convert to the Prosperity theology when money picks up?

And for all of us as protest-ants, how much does the historical "backbiting" that we have been identified as having engaged in now shape our thelogies and relationships with one another and the world? How are we to expect that the world will indeed find security in a real and vital relationship with God if He is represented by backbiters and naval gazers?

1 comment:

__REV__ said...

Well I don't know much about back-biting and navel-gazing, so I'll just add this thought about the Reformed discussion:

I recently just finished "The Shack" and since I noticed it was on your book list I thought I'd make a few observations just in terms of this Calvinist/neo-Calvinist discussion...

"The Shack" is at many points quite anti-neo-Reformed theology.

1. The Trinity is portrayed as egalitarian and mutually submissive rather than subordinational

2. The Trinity is re-presented with two of the three being women (except towards the end where Papa re-presents as a male).

3. Human marriage is ideal when egalitarian

4. Love necessitates choice/choosing/free will.

I thought these observations were very interesting. I have heard some Reformed backlash against the book before and now I understand more of why.

REV